As another birthday comes around, I can't help but think about how I spent my birthday last year. We had an extremely delayed flight out of Newark, missed our connection in Munich, and somehow managed to make it to Sofia about four hours later than originally planned. We then met our translator, took a five hour drive through the Bulgarian countryside, and finally made it to our final destination. The five days that followed were five of the most difficult days of my life. After travelling to the other side of the world to meet a little boy who we thought would become our son, we realized that it wasn't meant to be. Throughout the past year I have thought of this boy so many times. I've wondered how he is doing and if he is okay. I've worried about him. I have wanted so much for his family to find him... and they did.
Last week I was blessed to be able to follow his mama's journey to meet him. He was moved to a different orphanage earlier this year, and he is doing so well there. He's a different little boy than the child we met last summer. He has a smile that will melt your heart. He's interested in toys, he can drink from a cup and is starting to feed himself, and he enjoys the attention from his mama. The little boy who refused most of our contact and seemed to be in his own little world is gone. He's learning to trust and to love. I watched the bond start to form between him and his mama, and it's so beautiful. I know the reason it didn't work out for us is because he was meant to be with her. I'm so thankful that they found each other and grateful that she will allow me to follow his journey home. I cannot wait to watch him come home and thrive in his forever family. That little boy will always have a little piece of my heart.
And now that I know he's going to be okay, I feel like I can truly move on. I'm ready to go back to Bulgaria. I'm ready to meet my second son. It's so hard to be patient, but I know we'll receive our referral when the time is right. I miss Bulgaria. I love so many things about that country.
The fields full of beautiful sunflowers...
The amazing architecture...
Shopska Salad...
Sour Cherry Cappy Juice...
Our dossier was first submitted to the Bulgarian government in May of 2013. We've seen friends receive referrals in anywhere from 6 months up to 3.5 years, so we really don't know when we'll be invited to return to the country that we love so much. But when our time comes, we'll be ready to go.




1 comment:
It will happen! We also love Bulgaria too! It's such a beautiful country and one that everyone needs to go see.
Post a Comment